Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Reflective Post

Made by Shelby Steuber with Canva

I went into this course with high expectations on how technology could be used in the classroom; however, at the time, I had no idea just how many options there were that could be incorporated. Social media, apps on tablets, and SmartBoard applications were about the only technological tools I could think of that could be used. But EME 2040 has been able to show me much more than I could have ever thought of without this course. And, while this course taught me a wide variety of Web 2.0 Tools, there are still many out there to learn about and find for myself. As I continue to pursue my goal of becoming an educator, I can ascertain the technological tools that I know are appropriate and benefit students to where they will not only be engaged and excited about learning, but also meet expected outcomes of the topic being discussed.

My teaching philosophy has developed quite a bit since the first time I had to think of one. Yet I know that it is still not complete, and I'll need experience before I can be comfortable with how I feel about teaching. I do know, however, that I cannot quit learning once I become a teacher. Since it is educators' responsibilities to guide and shape the foundation of students' learning, then educators must learn as they do. Being able to utilize the latest technology that students are so familiar with could assist their learning significantly. Therefore, in the future, I won't be afraid to search for my own online resources.

I especially had fun creating my own Teacher Web Page. I was able to include all of the items that I incorporated into this class, and it was very personalized. Additionally, it was a great experience creating something that I could almost certainly be creating for my future profession. And, although this may be a silly reason for being entertained by this project, I figured that this could be something that I might use on a resume for a teaching position that could display my initial skills in educational technology. If I do ever join the educational field, I know I will be using Weebly because it is user-friendly and is extremely easy to create a professional webpage.

Overall, I felt, not only satisfied, but fulfilled with the content in this course. I do not have many complaints about it, but if I were to give a suggestion for this class, I would probably ask for the discussion posts to include more instructor-to-class interaction. Maybe even just to add a comment or two on a few of the students' posts each week, and by the end of the course, each student has a comment from the professor on at least one of their discussion points. This could provide even deeper levels of thinking, since the student could respond to the teacher with other ideas they might have.

To finish, I'd like to leave this video of Kid President giving a motivational speech to both teachers and students. This video is endearing, and also rings true with many of the topics it discusses. I have watched this video nearly ten times, and it continues to remind me why I want to be a teacher.


Resources

Montague, B. & Novak R. [SoulPancake]. (2013, September 12). YouTube. Retrieved May 3, 2013 from  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwlhUcSGqgs 

Steuber, Shelby. (2016, April 27). Welcome to Ms. Steuber's Algebra I Class! Webpage. Created with Weebly

Steuber, Shelby. (2016, May 3). Wrapping Up! Created with https://www.canva.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment